Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A love note to the Minister of Education

I love the view from my front door.
OK. So don't tell my husband about this blog post... Here is my love note to the B.C. Minister of Education about why I love homeschooling in B.C.

1. I love the autonomy.  Being able to individualize each child's learning plan is an extraordinary freedom and I am sincerely grateful.

2. I love the freedom to create a schedule that works for our family. On the bus from a hockey tournament until 11pm on Sunday evening? "Sleep in Monday morning:)"

3. I love that my children can play outside for hours each day, do their academics, and take a nap. They're busy growing, and responding to their individual and fluctuating need for activity and rest is a huge bonus.

4. I love that our days are filled with great books.  An opportunity to read in place of twaddle (pointless busy-ness to keep children in their seats) makes for a great day.

5. I love it when my kids make cookies to go with my afternoon cup of tea.

6. I love that I can naturally address the personal planning curriculum as questions arise during our days. No awkward lecture about the birds-and-the bees with our classmates. We naturally address questions as they arise in a way that is comfortable.

7. I love that the children spend their time with a teacher who naturally assumes the good in them. They are not working from a place of deficit or labeling.


Joyfully loved,
Caz.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Happy Valentine's Day ~ great post.

Anna Bowness-Park said...

I really enjoyed this post Caz. I would add one. "I am so grateful that my children now have time in addition to their academics, to think, dream and invent."