Thursday, January 5, 2012

Family Daycare - Toy Rotation

Our main play space (living room and play room.)
One of the lessons I've learned in family daycare is the importance of toy rotation. I change my daycare environment every 2 weeks.  I love this for many reasons:
  • Each change in toys is a fresh perspective on the needs of the children in my care ensuring the toys continue to meet their developing interests and needs.
  • I find the change in environment mentally refreshing - it's like cleaning your desk at work, or setting-up a new filing system :)
  • This pace for toy rotation allows the children to engage with the materials for an extended period of time without boredom setting in. I find this really sets us up for harmonious days together.
  • I don't put out many toys at a time. This allows for a less cluttered environment, encourages the children to focus their attention, and makes clean-up efficient.
  • I use theme boxes from my local Child Care Resource and Referral Program http://www.childcarevictoria.org/ I find returning them every 2 weeks (there is a 4 week loan period) helps me stay on top of the materials and minimizes misplaced items.  This relates to the point above too - I am doing a visual check daily on borrowed items and know when a minuscule item is missing from a play area and keep my eyes open for it!  
  • With each toy rotation I provide the parents with a summary sheet highlighting the toys and experiences being provided. I find this keeps me accountable for maintaining a high quality of care and also facilitates family-caregiver communication.
In an attempt to keep a balanced perspective there are a few minuses to the system I should highlight:

  • I hesitate when purchasing toys knowing that any one item may only see floor time for 2-4 weeks of the year. This is significant when looking at both cost and storage.  As a result I tend to steer toward furniture purchases that are versatile (carpets & baskets) over toy purchases.
  • Occasionally a child will become attached to a particular toy and could play with it for a little longer than the 2 week period. I keep this in mind and keep it on the floor (if I own it) or rotate it back on the floor sooner than usual (with borrowed items.)
Joyfully yours,

Caz.

My storage room (rarely looks like this!)