Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sunday School Wednesdays!

Banana Bread
Yay, so I thought I'd come-up with an easy blog entry for Wednesdays. As a new Sunday School teacher for the 5-6 year old class, I was simply planning to share my lesson plan each week (which I write on Wednesdays in preparation for the upcoming Sunday...)

Trouble is, I think this would be a bit misleading. On the one hand, reading other people's lesson plans is not usually very inspiring as you don't get a picture of the intent/feeling behind them.  Also, writing the lesson plan is the least substantial part of my Sunday School prep.

So I'm taking a completely different approach to Sunday School Wednesdays (insert huge collective sigh of relief...) I think I'm going to share what I really do to prepare for Sunday School.  Often times it has very little to do with my lesson topic (we're starting a unit on the Lord's Prayer, by the way) and a lot to do with how I think about children.

For example, I'll start my week cherishing all the qualities I know to be to be true about children. Often while I am considering this an idea will come to mind that could use some more exploration. Some weeks it will be an "issue" I need to pray about (such as a feeling that children can be 'reluctant readers') other weeks it will be a particular quality I want to get a better handle on (such as what does 'innocence' really mean anyway?)  I then spend the week thinking about this idea and exploring references and definitions for it until I have a clearer sense of who children really are.

Although it may be tempting to think this would leave me unprepared for Sunday morning, it has the opposite effect. The details of the lesson plan naturally fall into place. I also don't have too rigid a notion on how the lesson needs to unfold - I simply spend my Sunday morning 'seeing' the result of my clearer sense of children. Hot darn, it is so much fun to spend an hour with these kids - they always say something infinitely more profound that I can come up with in a lesson plan!

Joyfully yours,

Caz.
A mind-map on exploring 'how children are raised' from a week of Sunday School prep.