Friday, January 20, 2012

Being Disciplined and Getting Things Done

"Yes!" finally a post about discipline and whipping those kids into shape!  Ahhh, if only :) As I thought about children this week the idea of 'discipline' kept coming to mind. But, not so much in the context of how to discipline others, and more about how my being disciplined allows me to do more of what I want (much more self-serving!)

I have been really working to be more disciplined this past year. As a simple definition, I think of being disciplined as 'doing what needs doing first, then doing what I want to do.' Interestingly as I practice this principle, I have found it makes me happy, and more efficient.  I think it's because doing what needs doing first allows me the mental freedom to then do what I want without distraction, guilt, regret etc.  Often the things that need doing don't take so long - it is just a matter of getting started.

Some things I've discovered as I work on being more disciplined:

  • A friend shared an idea which changed my point of view about evening chores. She suggested that evening is a time of preparation for the morning, and not a time to unwind from the day. I love to wake up knowing I'm ready for the day:)
  • A few years ago I started following the Fly Lady 31 Beginner Baby Steps to help me learn to be more disciplined with housework.  The Fly Lady starts with an assumption that you live in chaos and gives you baby steps to learn how to manage your housework.
  • A simple time management technique is to ask myself; "What is the best use of my time right now?" It creates mental space to complete tasks that can pile up. "8 minutes until we leave for swim club? Perfect, I'll run the laundry piles to each room." I'm embarrassed to admit that I may have taken this to an extreme... It takes 60 seconds to make my smoothie in the Vitamix in the morning and I often race to get the dishwasher unloaded in that time:)
  • Simple, but effective, write a list and cross items off as you complete them.
 Although it seems counter-intuitive at first, being disciplined creates more order in my life which frees-up time and head-space to do projects which are priorities for me (read with my kids, volunteer, watch a movie with my hubby etc.)

Being disciplined creates time to do what I want - like walk in the snow with Muffin Mouse.


Thanks to my friend, Jodi, for inspiring this post today. A true friend who texted me a flattering message after my horrifying re-telling of my run on the treadmill today. Girlfriend, I may not always look pretty doing it, but I get it done:)

Joyfully disciplined,
Caz.

No comments: