Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Revisiting Pedagogical Narrations

I attended a workshop a couple of weekends ago on Pedagogical Narrations (PN) by Denise Hodgins (UVic) and Kathleen Kummen (Capliano University.)  I've been working with PNs for a few years now, but have never felt they were a natural fit for me - the work always felt a little forced.

A couple of the key points the presenters made have given me permission to re-think how I 'produce' learning stories. Really, the goal of a PN is to document the learning, it is the process that is key to document. The point is not to produce a pretty product.... 

When I look at PNs this way I realize that in reality my daily journalling with families are PNs; this is where I highlight moments of learning and meaning, provide context, and relate to how the children feel and learn.  The pictures I email at the end of our week together are artefacts of the experiences from the journals which allow deeper conversation and reflection.


Some of the key points from the workshop which stood out for me included:
  • Probably the biggest 'aha moment' was the statement that PNs are not supposed to nail-down the obvious.  I think I had skipped into thinking that an ordinary moment, was an obvious one!  I was taking a photo, generally with a developmental lens, and then highlighting the obvious - it was a bit boring to do!
  • PNs allow us to think differently, and make our thinking visible.
  • The presenters suggest starting with a question to frame the PN process. Such as "How do I view children?" or "Are there opportunities for perseverance in the children's play?"  Step outside the 'developmental lens' for more meaningful thinking and analysis.
  • Narrations is plural. There are more than one, they are ongoing and transformational. They are not the scrapbook-looking product I was producing.
I am going to read a suggested book and give the whole idea of PNs some more thought. I wonder how I can better apply them in my family daycare setting, and in homeschooling?  You're welcome to read along with me!  

Joyfully narrating,
Caz.


No comments: