Sunday, August 12, 2012

Beautiful Math Moment Reflections

I was re-reading an old post of my sister's on a beautiful math moment and it got me thinking...



It highlights for me the needed balance between exploratory learning and direct instruction.  Without exposing our children to the beauty and rules that govern mathematics they can't apply the principles in their play and feel the excitement and joy that math is!

When I think back on my memorable math moments they combined these two elements. One example that stands out was the summer our family built a barn. I can remember enjoying the process of applying geometry in a meaningful way.  It wasn't simple math - it required considerable thought and written work, plus a sense of urgency that we solve the problem correctly.  But geometry came alive for me that summer.

A great read on learning to liberate your math instruction is Paul Lockhart's A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats us of our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form. I read the first couple of chapters to George and Muffin Mouse last year and it made an impression. Lockhark starts by declaring that students think math class is boring and stupid - and they're right!  I'm sure the kids don't think that about my math classes, right!?

Joyfully mathematical,
Caz.

No comments: